If you are going to be installing OpenVMS, you’ll probably be wanting some open source tools to go with it such as vim or perl or others.
Recently, I went searching for sources of freeware and open source for OpenVMS, and found several that looked to be quite useful:
- OpenVMS Ports of Free Software – a large list of freeware; some source, some binary, some both. Requirements plainly delineated.
- VMS Freeware from Hunter Goatley’s FILESERV – an excellent list – you may wish to start at Hunter’s OpenVMS Resource Center.
- The WKU VMS Freeware Archive for VAX and Alpha – more freeware.
- HP’s Collection of Freeware CDs, as well as an excellent set of information on freeware (and another list – somewhat dated)
- The World’s Largest OpenVMS Freeware Archive (or so it says) – looks to be an excellent resource!
Try these out and see if they don’t have pretty much everything….